Monday, April 21, 2008

Work, love, and chronic illness.

I hosted a garden party on Saturday, which went absolutely smashingly! I got some neat new plants which I had no space for. Today, I ended up digging a humongous new bed to put some of it in and to avoid calling yet another doctor to make yet another appointment.

I completely wore myself out, but I'm pleased with the shape of the new area. It's big and has plenty of room for expansion, so I won't have to worry about doing it again later. The combination of the strenuous labor and sun have sparked off another flare up, and I've got a gorgeous malar rash.

I got a wonderful clump of mayapple (Podophyllum peltatum) and I can't wait to get this naturalized and happy.  Here's a picture of the beautiful leaf on this native:



Growing native plants is a great way to help keep your gardens environmentally friendly.  These
plants are used the conditions where you grow, including the insects and diseases.
They evolved in your environment and can be low-maintenance additions to your gardens, once established, and provide a great natural beauty.  Planting native 
plants also encourages native wildlife to visit.  

The next time you decided to undertake a landscaping project, consider adding some of these gems.  Most areas have native plant societies, and these groups will be able to guide you in your arrangements, plantings, etc.  Check out the North American Native Plant Society for more info.

No comments: