Friday, April 25, 2008

A stray orchid.

This survived the first two years of my illness. I lost about 3/4 of my collection because I was physically unable to care for them, roasted some, or gave them away. What's currently blooming is a small division of a formerly massive plant (which I mourn regularly) and it's first bloom since the Great Orchid Devestation.

This is Dendrobium unicum, a delightful plant with thin, longish canes (up to about 8") and these fascinating flowers. The lip is tubular, cream with burgundy veins. The petals and sepals are reflexed and a vibrant orange. What makes this little guy even cooler is the scent. It smells sort of peachy-apricotty, which just seems to fit perfectly with the color combination.

I'll have to attempt to get better pictures, if it's still blooming, outside when it quits raining.

1 comment:

Mrs.Kwitty said...

It is so beautiful. I'm sorry you got sick and couldn't care for your flowers.
Smiles, Karen